Skin Care for Acne, Anti-Aging and More
Healthy skin is often considered one of the most important aspects of our appearance.
While skin care is sometimes viewed as being for women, both men and women can enjoy the benefits of skin care products created to help deal with a myriad of skin issues – from acne to uneven skin tone from past sun damage to fine line reduction and more.
Here’s an overview of the skin care products Defy Medical offers, and how they can help you have clear, even toned, and healthy-looking skin.
Skin Care for Acne on the Face and Body
While you may wish that you left acne behind in your teenage years, acne is one of the top skin care problems for which people of all ages seek treatment. Up to 50 million Americans experience acne, some more severely than others.
TRT and hormone restoration protocols can also result in acne. This happens because increased hormone levels can stimulate the production of oil in the skin, leading to acne breakouts on the face, chest, and back.
Testosterone is the hormone most responsible for stimulating the production of sebum (face oil). If you increase your Testosterone levels, a corresponding increase in the production of sebum will sometimes occur. This is natural but can lead to more noticeable acne breakouts for men and women.
Excess sebum causes acne by combining with dead skin cells and clogging pores. Clogged pores also create a hospitable environment for bacteria, which can lead to bacterial acne, as well.
Restoring hormone balance offers many benefits such as increased energy, better body composition, higher drive for intimacy, and more. Many patients find this increase in quality of life to be extremely worthwhile. But if acne is a side effect from your BHRT or TRT protocol, you don’t have to just live with it.
Defy Medical offers a range of acne creams to support our patients and help them clear their skin, so they can continue living their best lives on their TRT/BHRT protocols.
If you have acne that isn’t caused by a BHRT or TRT protocol, these products will still work to help clear your skin and prevent future breakouts.
This skin care for acne contains three powerhouse ingredients that can address acne while also offering anti-aging benefits. This cream can also help reduce the visibility of acne scars, which can be useful for patients who suffer from this type of skin issue.
- Clindamycin Phosphate – This ingredient is a potent antibiotic that can treat and prevent the growth of Propionibacterium acnes ( acnes), which is a type of bacteria that commonly causes acne. Clindamycin Phosphate typically works best when combined with other types of acne treatment and prevention, which is why it’s added to two other ingredients in this formula.
- Niacinamide (B3) – A potent ingredient found in most of Defy Medical’s acne treatments, Niacinamide is an anti-inflammatory that can soothe skin, reduce redness, and ease hyperpigmentation caused by acne scarring. It has also shown promise is slowing the production of face oil, which is a common cause of acne.
- Tretinoin – A derivative of Vitamin A, Tretinoin is a powerful skincare ingredient. It encourages the turnover of cells in the skin, which can help your pores release oil and skin buildup, bacteria, and irritants that cause acne. This cell turnover is also a key anti-aging mechanism that can help skin look younger and more vibrant. Tretinoin is more potent and effective than another common Vitamin A derivative: retinol.
This product is a general cream with proven acne skin care ingredients. Benzoyl Peroxide is a recognizable acne treatment because of its drying properties, which help with sebum-related acne.
Ingredients in this formula include:
- Benzoyl Peroxide – This ingredient helps to reduce the production of skin oil (sebum) to stop the clogging of pores, which causes acne.
- Clindamycin Phosphate – This antibiotic reduces and prevents bacteria on the skin, which is another common cause of acne.
- Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) – This anti-inflammatory ingredient can help with a range of skin issues, including acne, hyperpigmentation, redness, and skin irritation. Evidence suggests it can also decrease the production of sebum in the skin to reduce oil-caused acne.
This skin care for acne is designed for the treatment of fungal acne. This type of acne is usually caused when pores become clogged with yeast in a condition called pityrosporum folliculitis. Because most types of acne are caused by bacteria, other types of acne treatments will not help treat this condition.
How do you know if you have pityrosporum folliculitis? If you’re tried other forms of acne treatment and noticed no difference in your breakouts, it may be because your acne is being caused by fungus rather than bacteria.
Ingredients in the Acne Keto Cream include:
- Ketoconazole – This anti-fungal medication can help fight against and prevent the buildup of fungus and yeast in the pores. This can help reduce and stop the development of fungus-caused acne.
- Niacinamide (B3) – This B vitamin is an anti-inflammatory that can help prevent acne and lessen hyperpigmentation caused by acne scarring. There is evidence to suggest Niacinamide also limits oil production in the skin, which can help reduce acne caused by oil. Combining this vitamin with Ketoconazole creates a well-rounded acne treatment.
Skin Care for Aging
One of the most sought-after elements of skin care is anti-aging effects. There are a range of products and ingredients that can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles, make skin look plumper and more hydrated, and give your skin a healthy and youthful glow.
Read on to learn more about skin care for aging options.
Tretinoin, or all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA), is a powerful Vitamin A derivative (retinoid). It has anti-aging properties and can help fine lines and skin tone as well as with acne and acne scars.
Tretinoin creates its effects by encouraging skin cell turnover, which can help skin look brighter, firmer, and more youthful. Cell turnover can also help clear clogged pores and reduce the appearance of acne and acne scarring.
Defy Medical offers three forms of Tretinoin TAN Cream:
If you have delicate skin, the Sensitive Cream is likely a good place to start. If you’re not sure, consider how your skin responds to retinol, since Tretinoin is a more potent Vitamin A derivative than retinol. If you have a strong reaction to retinol, it’s best to start with a Sensitive or Mild Tretinoin cream.
The creams have the same ingredients, listed below – the amount of the ingredients vary to create different strength formulas.
- Tretinoin – As discussed, Tretinoin is a powerful Vitamin A derivative that encourages skin cell turnover to improve acne and acne scarring as well as to add a more youthful texture and glow.
- Azelaic Acid – This ingredient is a natural acid that can act as an anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. This means it can help stop the growth of bacteria while reducing redness and irritation caused by inflammation – both of which contribute to acne.
- Niacinamide (B3) –Niacinamide is a key acne skin care ingredient. It can help fight inflammation, treat hyperpigmentation to reduce the appearance of acne scarring, and potentially reduce the amount of oil (sebum) produced by the skin. Oil buildup is another common cause of acne.
This comprehensive anti-aging and rejuvenating prescription-quality cream is a go-to for many skin care conscious patients. It contains seven ingredients that all work together to smooth, firm, and have a de-aging effect on the skin.
These ingredients include:
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) – When applied to the skin, Vitamin C has been shown to encourage the production of collagen plus eliminate free radicals, which can protect skin and make it appear firmer and more youthful. Because oral Vitamin C rarely reaches the skin, topical application is typically recommended for these benefits.
- Azelaic Acid – This ingredient is well-known to have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, which is why it’s often used to treat acne. Azelaic Acid can also help smooth skin texture, make blemishes less noticeable, and brighten the skin.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) – ALA is an antioxidant that can fight back against free radicals and oxidative stress. The result is often a decrease in puffiness and swelling, especially around the eyes, and firmer skin. ALA can also help even skin tone and reduce redness and irritation.
- Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE) – This antioxidant can help tighten and firm the skin, reduce sagging, and boost elasticity. Elasticity, or the ability for skin to return to its normal shape after movement, is one of the features that makes skin look youthful.
- Aloe Vera – Many people have used aloe vera as a natural remedy for anything from wounds to sunburns. Aloe vera has inflammatory and healing properties that can soothe the skin and potentially stimulate new cell growth. Aloe vera may help with redness as well as minor scarring, such as acne scars.
- Estriol – Estriol is a form of Estrogen. This form is used in skin care because it is a weaker Estrogen that won’t affect blood Estrogen levels as much as other forms. On the skin, Estriol can encourage the creation of Collagen, which is what gives skin its youthful glow and elasticity. The skin is extremely responsive to Estrogen, which makes it a useful addition to a skin care routine.
- Progesterone – Another female hormone, Progesterone can have anti-aging effects when applied topically. Progesterone has been shown to reverse some of the signs of aging in the skin, especially those caused by menopause.
If you’re looking for a prescription-quality skin care for aging with Vitamin A (similar to retinol) the Anti-Aging Vita Gel may be right for you.
This gel includes:
- Tretinoin – Also called all-trans-retinoic acid or ATRA, Tretinoin is a natural derivative of Vitamin A. If you’re interested in skincare, you’ve likely heard of another Vitamin A derivative: retinol. Tretinoin is stronger and more effective than retinol at encouraging cell turnover in the skin, which makes skin look brighter and youthful.
Tretinoin also stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, two substances that are vital in helping skin stay elastic, plump, and young-looking. Tretinoin can help treat mild to moderate acne, as well. Tretinoin is a prescription-strength ingredient. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to start slow to avoid irritation.
- Niacinamide (B3) – This B vitamin has many benefits to the skin when applied topically. It has shown brightening effects as well as the ability to reduce discoloration and even skin tone. Its anti-inflammatory properties can help soothe redness and decrease puffiness, and it can help repair the skin from the effects stress, free radicals, and UV rays.
- Vitamin E Acetate – This vitamin can protect from free radicals and reverse the damage caused by UV rays when applied topically. Because these are the main sources of skin damage and premature aging, Vitamin E can help preserve your skin’s youthful appearance.
Note: Neither Niacinamide nor Vitamin E Acetate protect from sunlight directly, so it’s important to still wear a potent daily sunscreen. These vitamins can support the skin and reverse some of the damage caused by UV light, but they do not protect from other dangers of sun exposure like skin cancer.
The superstar Hydrate Cream has pharmacy-strength ingredients that address fine lines and wrinkles, along with helping to moisturize skin and add a youthful glow. If you’re looking for a simpler formula that still packs a punch, the Hydrate Cream may be right for you.
Key ingredients include:
- Acetyl-D Glucosamine – You’ve likely heard of hyaluronic acid and maybe even include it in your skin care routine. Hyaluronic acid is responsible for locking moisture into the skin for a more hydrated and youthful appearance. The skin uses Acetyl-D Glucosamine to make hyaluronic acid. By applying Acetyl-D Glucosamine topically, you can encourage the skin to produce its own hyaluronic acid naturally.
Acetyl-D Glucosamine also has antioxidant properties and can soothe the skin, aid with hyperpigmentation and acne scarring, and decrease the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Acetyl-D Glucosamine has shown particular promise in reducing the appearance of crow’s feet and fine lines around the eyes. It’s an all-around powerhouse skin care ingredient.
- Niacinamide (B3) – Another go-to skin care ingredient, Niacinamide can help treat acne and acne scarring, hyperpigmentation, wrinkles and fine lines, and more. Its anti-inflammatory and restorative properties make it effective at addressing a lot of skin issues.
Skin Care with CBD
Cannabidiol, more commonly known as CBD, has been quickly gaining popularity in the United States. CBD has shown anti-inflammatory benefits that may help reduce redness and irritation in the skin, which can work in conjunction with other quality skin care ingredients.
If you’ve been looking for a topical CBD cream and also want a daily skin care product, these may be a good fit for your needs.
This daily moisturizer is designed to provide moisture balance, protect from environmental stressors, and provide anti-aging benefits daily.
- 500 mg of CBD for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Vitamin A for more youthful, vibrant skin.
- Vitamin D for its anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing properties.
- Hyaluronic Acid to lock in moisture and keep skin looking fresh and revitalized.
For a more concentrated anti-aging cream, the Ageless Beauty Fineline Repair offers proven ingredients combined with a potent dose of CBD.
Key ingredients include
- CBD (1000 mg) for anti-inflammatory and skin-soothing effects.
- Hyaluronic Acid to help lock in moisture.
- Retinol to help encourage cell turnover and make skin look brighter, fresher, and more youthful.
- CoQ10 to encourage the production of collagen and elastin, and to protect the skin from oxidative stress caused by free radicals.
Combination Skin Care
You may have more than one of the skin issues listed here. Combination skin care integrates different treatments into one customized skin care routine, so you get the high-quality, prescription-strength skin care you need.
Not sure what you’re looking for? You can connect with Defy Medical to discuss your options and figure out the right combination of skin care products for you.
Comprehensive Wellness Care with Defy Medical
At Defy Medical, custom skin care is just one of the many services we offer our patients. In addition to topical treatments for anti-aging, acne, hyperpigmentation, and more, we offer:
- Hair Loss Treatments and PRP for Hair Loss
- Aesthetic injections
- Weight Management
- IV and Injectable Nutrition
- Testosterone Replacement Therapy
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Men’s Sexual Health
- Women’s Sexual Health
- PRP for Joint Paint, Female Sexual Health, and Erectile Dysfunction
- Peptide Therapy
- Ketamine Therapy
Defy Medical is a concierge clinic with convenient telemedicine appointments, a patient portal with online ordering of medications, and orders delivered to your doorstep. We also offer ongoing patient support available via email, phone, and chat.