Medications to Treat Hair Loss and Hair Thinning
Hair Loss is a Common Problem
Hair loss and thinning can affect as many as two-thirds of American men by the time they reach their 30s, according to the American Hair Loss Association. Women can experience hair loss and hair thinning, as well – and both men and women will likely feel the negative effects on their confidence level and overall quality of life.
If you’re experiencing hair thinning or hair loss, you may wonder whether there’s any medication that can help. Read on to learn more about different treatment options.
Medications that Treat Hair Loss
Right now, there are two FDA approved medications for thinning and hair loss:
- Finasteride (Propecia) is taken orally or applied topically with the intent to block the production of DHT. This is considered to be effective for hair loss, but it can also cause hypogonadism and other side effects in men due to its effect on hormone production. It is not recommended at all for women. While Defy Medical does offer products with Finasteride, we typically recommend trying other, less aggressive options first.
- Minoxidil is a common over-the-counter treatment that reportedly promotes new hair growth by increasing cutaneous blood flow to shrinking hair follicles. It is generally safe and can be effective by itself if used during the early onset of alopecia.
Through pharmacy partners, Defy Medical also offers:
- Latanaprost – This medication was shown to mimic prostaglandins and significantly increase hair density over a 24-week period for young men with mild hair loss.
- Ketoconazole – Though generally an antifungal cream, this medication has shown promise in countering the effects of DHT on the scalp.
- Spironolactone – This medication is available as an oral tablet or topical medication. Though typically prescribed to help reduce water retention (edema), it may also be used to treat female pattern baldness caused by excessive androgens. It may also lower testosterone and androgen levels produced in the ovaries and adrenal glands.
- Azelaic Acid – This acid is a natural antibiotic that also shows promise in inhibiting 5-alpha-reductase in the skin, which would in turn reduce the amount of DHT in the body.
Defy Medical can prescribe compounded foams and topical applications of these medications, in different combinations depending on the needs of the patient.
Compounded Hair Loss Medication Options
Andro Block Level 1 Hair Solution
This topical formula includes Minoxidil and Ketoconazole, which can help treat thinning hair in men and women. See in the patient portal.
Andro Block Level 3 Hair Solution
This topical formula includes Minoxidil, Ketoconazole, Azelaic Acid, and Spironolactone and is for the treatment of noticeable hair loss and androgenic alopecia. See in the patient portal.
Hair Restore Lite Scalp Solution
This topical solution includes Minoxidil and Azelaic Acid, which can help with moderate hair loss. See in the patient portal. See in the patient portal.
Hair Restore MML Scalp Solution
This formula includes Minoxidil, Melatonin, and Azelaic Acid. These ingredients have shown success in treating androgenic alopecia and hair loss when applied topically. See in the patient portal.
Hair Restore Ultra Scalp Solution
This topical formula includes Minoxidil, Ketoconazole, Azelaic Acid, and Finasteride designed for the treatment of noticeable hair loss and androgenic alopecia. See in the patient portal.
Hair Restore L Foam
This foam includes .01% Latanoprost and is often recommended for people with mild hair loss. See in the patient portal.
Hair Restore L Extra Strength Foam
This foam application includes .06% Latanoprost and is typically recommended for more severe hair loss. See in the patient portal.
Hair Restore LF Foam
This topical foam includes Finasteride and Latanoprost and is typically used to treat androgenic alopecia in male patients. See in the patient portal.
Finasteride and Latanoprost Foams
You can access a variety of hair foams with Finasteride and Latanoprost at different concentrations depending on your needs. See in the patient portal.
Spironolactone 25mg Tablet
This oral medication may help with female-pattern baldness caused by excessive androgens. See in the patient portal.
Finasteride 5mg Tablets
This is an oral tablet for the FDA-approved hair loss treatment Finasteride. See in the patient portal.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) For Hair Loss
A new and exciting treatment for hair thinning is Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) injections. PRP has shown promise in stimulating hair growth by delivering platelets and growth factors directly to the follicles.
In this treatment, we use your own blood sample, processing it to create the highest concentration of platelets and growth factors. Then we inject it directly into the scalp in different areas and at different depths for a comprehensive scalp treatment.
PRP injections are best suited for those who experience thinning hair, because the treatment can help stimulate thin hairs to grow thicker. Defy Medical offers PRP injections for hair loss at our clinic in Tampa, FL.
Treat Hair Loss with Defy Medical
Defy Medical offers access to a variety of hair restoration treatments depending on your needs and goals.
Ready to discuss your options for hair loss?Get Started