How Long Can I Keep Trimix in a Syringe?
Ideally, you should only keep Trimix in a syringe while you’re injecting it. The CDC advises against pre-filling syringes, since it can lead to an array of problems with sterility, effectiveness, and accurate dosage.
If for some reason you must pre-fill a syringe, you should utilize the medication within 12 hours, or freeze it in the syringe within the same length of time.
This does not apply to pre-filled injection pens that are manufactured in individual doses by a pharmacy. Our recommendation applies to medications that you or a medical provider fill from a vial of injectable medication.
Why Would I Pre-Fill My Syringe?
Since it’s not medically advisable, you may be wondering in what circumstance you would need to pre-fill a syringe. Some medical providers attempt to take the burden off of patients by pre-filling syringes, so patients avoid having to draw up the medication on their own.
Because this is not best practice, Defy Medical does not pre-fill syringes. Instead, we provide detailed instructions on how to mix, draw up, and inject your medication.
How Should I Store Trimix?
Trimix is shipped lyophilized, or dried into a powder. Trimix in powder form can be stored in your home at 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C). Keep the vial away from light, heat, and moisture.
Once reconstituted, Trimix should be stored in the refrigerator at temperatures that range from 36°F to 46°F (2°C to 8°C). Continue to keep the vial away from light and heat to avoid lessening the medication’s effects.
Trimix can last up to one month in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Trimix?
If you don’t expect to use your Trimix within a month, you can freeze the medication. Once frozen at temperatures of -4°F or -20°C, Trimix can last up to six months.
When you’re ready to use your frozen vial, allow it to naturally thaw before use. Thawing times vary depending on the container size. Once Trimix is thawed, it should be stored in the refrigerate for up to one month.
Ensure that the medication is fully thawed to avoid any ice crystals or cloudiness that could cause injection pain and reduced results. Your medication should be clear and colorless when you inject it.
You should not re-freeze your medication again after it’s been frozen and thawed once. This can lead to degradation of the active ingredients, which will lead to less potent results.
What Is Trimix?
Trimix is a penile injection containing alprostadil, papaverine, and phentolamine.
- Phentolamine is a medication that helps to increase the amount of blood flowing into the penis, resulting in improved erections.
- Prostaglandin helps to widen the smooth muscles in order to improve blood circulation.
- Papaverine is a substance that helps to relax the smooth muscles in your body, allowing for more blood flow.
These ingredients work together to widen blood vessels and increase the flow of blood to the penis in as little as five minutes, leading to strong and lasting erections in most patients.
Trimix is typically a viable option for those with more serious cases of ED who have not had success with other drugs like Sildenafil (Viagra).
Exploring the Types of Trimix
In addition to the original Trimix formula, there are other formulas that can help with severe ED.
- Trimix is a mixture of three different medications: Alprostadil, Papaverine, and Phentolamine.
- Super Trimix is a variation of the regular Trimix injection, but it contains double the amount of Phentolamine.
- Bimix is a combination of two medications, Papaverine and Phentolamine, that does not contain Alprostadil for those who are sensitive to it.
- Super Bimix contains Phentolamine at double the concentration of regular Bimix.
- Quadmix is a combination of four different medications: Papaverine, Phentolamine Mesylate, Prostaglandin, and Atropine Sulfate.
- Super Quadmix is similar to Quadmix but contains twice the amount of Phentolamine.
Unless you have an allergy or sensitivity to Alprostadil, we suggest starting with the standard Trimix formula. If this doesn’t work for you, other options like Super Trimix and Quadmix may be more effective.
You can work with a knowledgeable Defy Medical provider to discuss the right formula for you.
Other ED Treatment Options
Trimix is considered the strongest and most potent treatment for ED. If you haven’t tried ED treatments before, you may also want to look into oral medications like the ones below.
- Sildenafil is a vasodilator that improves blood flow for strong and long-lasting erections. It’s also known by its brand name, Viagra.
- Tadalafil (also known as Cialis) is a medication that can help with erectile dysfunction. It works by increasing blood flow to the penis, and it can also be taken on a daily basis for long-term treatment of ED.
- Vardenafil (brand name Levitra) is a medication that helps to increase blood flow, aiding individuals in achieving and sustaining an erection.
- Bremelanotide (PT-141) is an injection that can be used to increase sexual desire in both men and women. It has been found to have positive effects on libido, particularly among female patients.
- Oxytocin is believed to help create a sense of closeness, comfort, and connection between partners when they are intimate. It may boost relaxation and support libido.
- Combination therapies may also benefit men with ED and low libido. For instance, Oxytocin can be taken with vasodilators such as Sildenafil to create a more powerful result.
Note: We do not recommend combining Trimix directly with any other ED medication. This can lead to a dangerous condition called priapism, which is an erection lasting more than four hours. You should seek emergency care if you experience priapism.
Trimix with Defy Medical
Trimix is an effective solution for erectile dysfunction, and it can be used when other ED medications fail to provide results. Defy Medical offers simple access to Trimix through telemedicine and helps first-time users understand the injection process.
Ready to learn more?Get Started