What is Testosterone?
Testosterone is a hormone produced in the body which helps to;
- Maintain reproductive tissues
- Stimulate sperm production
- Stimulate and maintain sexual function
- Increase muscle mass and strength
- Maintain bone strength
- Decrease risk of disease and death
What should my level be?
Just like your cholesterol or blood pressure, there is a numerical range of testosterone levels that are considered normal. The brain and the testicles work together to keep testosterone in this range. When levels of testosterone are below normal, the brain signals the testicles to make more. When testosterone levels reach a normal level, the brain signals the testicles to make less. There are two types of Testosterone tests which need to be performed in order to have an accurate read. 1) Total Testosterone measures the amount of testosterone in your blood. This measurement represents the amount of T your body is producing 2) Free Testosterone measures the amount of testosterone that can be used by the body.
Defy Medical targets the upper normal range, known as the optimal range, of Testosterone (T) with special attention to Free Testosterone levels.
Checking Estrogen levels, specifically Estradiol, is just as important as your testosterone level. Yes, men have estrogen too. Managing estrogen is necessary for proper TRT.
Risks and effects of having Low Testosterone
- Increased risk for heart disease
- Increased risk for type 2 diabetes
- Loss of muscle and loss of strength
- Increase in body fat
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Decreased Sexual Performance
- Increased risk for depression and anxiety
Is it safe?
When properly done, TRT in both men and women has been repeatedly shown to be safe. There is no scientific evidence that testosterone causes prostate cancer or heart disease. To the contrary, there is overwhelming scientific evidence that testosterone protects against heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and Alzheimer's dementia. However, if you already have prostate cancer, there is a possibility that TRT may accelerate the cancer's growth and is, therefore, inadvisable. In women, side effects of acne, unwanted hair growth, or deepening voice, can easily be avoided with proper dosing, frequent lab monitoring, and follow-up visits.
Benefits of Restoring T to Optimal Levels
Improve memory - Testosterone supplementation may increase working memory in men.
Janowsky J et al. Sex steroids modify working memory J Cogn Neurosci 2000 May;12(3):407-14
Reduce Alzheimer's Risk - Testosterone restoration may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's Disease by preventing the production of beta amyloid precursor protein.
Gouras GK et al. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000 Feb 1;97(3):1202-5
Improve cognitive function - Testosterone levels correlate with cognitive function.
Hormones and Behavior 1998; 33(2):85-94 and the J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1999 Oct;84(10):3681-5
- TRT can help alleviate depression.
- Testosterone restoration is more effective than antidepressants for depression
Am J Psychiatry 157:1884, November 2000 and Androl 1992 Jul-Aug;13(4):297-304
- Many patients are able to stop Antidepressants after being treated with testosterone
Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 2000 Summer;13(2):93-101
Restore lost muscle and Decrease Body fat - Testosterone increases lean muscle and decreases fat mass.
J Endocrinol 2001 Jul;170(1):27-38
Lower Risk of Heart Disease by 60% - Bringing testosterone from low normal to high normal lowers the risk for heart disease by 60%.
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Aug 2002. Vol. 87, No. 8 3632-3639.
Increase lifespan - Low testosterone linked to long-term risk of death in relatively healthy adult men. This study is another major report linking testosterone deficiency in relatively healthy men with increased death from all causes over time.
ENDO 2007: The Endocrine Society Research Summaries Book June 5, 2007.
Enhance Sexual Performance and Libido - Two-year study of the effects of low dose testosterone on men's libido. 82% of men noticed improvement compared to less than 10% in the control group.
Clinical Endocrinogy and Metabolism 1997.
Defy Statistics - In one of the largest studies of its kind, this study shows a decline in American men's testosterone levels during the last 20 years. The decrease is not related to normal aging or to health and lifestyle factors known to influence testosterone levels. Testosterone concentrations dropped about 1.2% per year from 1987 to 2004, or about 17% overall. The downward trend was seen in both individuals and the entire population over time.
Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2007. 92:196-202.
- Achieve Optimal Performance - Testosterone Improves Sexual Function, Mood, Muscle Strength and Body Composition Parameters in Hypogonadal Men. Subjects did not exercise, yet their lean body mass and fat mass improved. Improvement was correlated with serum level of Testosterone obtained. Study showed that these benefits were not, however, obtained with testosterone patches (which are too weak for most patients).
Increase Energy - Low testosterone levels is associated with fatigue. Using testosterone restoration increases one's sense of well being. Many patients were also able to stop using antidepressants after testosterone restoration.
Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 2000 Summer;13(2):93-101.
- Speed up healing - Testosterone restoration speeds healing and results in shortens hospital stays.
Defy Medical can check your testosterone levels with a simple blood test which can be performed anywhere in the US. If you do have low testosterone it can be easily treated. There are several treatment options available such as gels, patches or injections that increase the amount of testosterone in your body. Our Testosterone Restoration program includes the necessary lab work along with close physician monitoring and prescription management. In addition, Dr Saya and his staff are available to assist patients at any time during therapy. Along with nutritional guidance, restoring testosterone levels to optimal levels will help reverse the common symptoms experienced by the aging male.
Here is what you can expect as a patient;
- Physician lab review, assessment, and treatment plan
- Ongoing physician monitored Testosterone Restoration (TRT)
- Claim Assistance when insurance coverage is available
- Nutritional counseling and education
- Access to our full line of injectable amino-acid kits and nutraceuticals
- Concierge medical service very low cost
- Overnight delivery available at the pharmacies we use